Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Fast and the Furious...Again

Out this weekend is the "retooled" Fast and the Furious movie.



I love cars. Ever since my friend Matt back in high school took me to my first import show and started introducing me to the world of cars, I've had a thing for them. It's such a typically guy thing.

Well, this movie is one that totally appeals to the "delayed adolescent." It's got fast cars, hot women, and lots of explosions. The critic in me says, "Stay the heck away from this movie. It's not worth your time." But the guy in me says, "YEAH!"

Paul Walker, and Vin Diesel are returning to the Fast and the Furious franchise for this latest installment. I think part of the guy value is found in these actors. Who wouldn't want to be as big and buff as Vin Diesel and drive a nice classic muscle car? Who wouldn't want to be like Paul Walker and have every other girl drool over him, AND drive a nice Skyline?

Discuss your feelings about guys and cars here.

2 comments:

  1. I think men have a tendency to obsess over things that are outwardly masculine (fast cars, explosions, fistfights, loud music, and so on) because deep down a lot of men are insecure about their place in society. They don't feel "manly." After all, who could in comparison to the definition of manliness in these movies? I've never intentionally crashed a car. I've never beaten a man senseless simply because he said something stupid. I don't have the occasion to defend myself with a rocket launcher.

    The masculinity in these kinds of movies isn't real masculinity -- it's affected and silly. While you're right that it's a lot of fun, does such a shallow portrayal of masculinity help anybody? Doesn't it do the same thing to our perception of masculinity that the exploitation of women in the media does to our view of femininity? Doesn't it ultimately distort our perceptions, celebrating a non-existent kind of masculinity, which can, if we're not aware of it, make men feel inferior to it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good comment Professor Josh.

    I think it's interesting that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints spends so much time teaching men their about their inward masculinity as defined by their theological beliefs to counter all of this outward masculinity portrayed by the media.

    It's kind of sad. The only people that really have a good definition of what is real masculinity are people that have a religious belief. For those that only have the media to rely on for their examples of "manhood" no wonder our society is where it is now.

    I agree that these view of masculinity do distort our perceptions, but can we really avoid them? If we want to really communicate, to understand others and their background, don't we have to look at their perceptions of what masculinity is and adapt to it?

    ReplyDelete