Monday, March 30, 2009

Forced Postponing?

I postponed graduating in April because I didn't want to do an independent study of Chinese 301. Add to that the fact that the economy isn't really doing that well, and I was in no real rush to graduate.

That being said, I was still supposed to graduate in July with a BS in English, but that may be postponed now. I got an email from Sister Shen, the teacher that runs the Chinese 301 class that said that, "due to a lack of enrollment (6) Chinese 301 has been canceled for the Spring session."

Now what the heck do I do? I can't sit around till the fall.

Interestingly enough, this link Meghan Farr, a stranded college student of four years ago muses on similar things. I particularly like this quote:

"College is a time to educate yourself about your beliefs on life issues. The more you read and think on your own, the more you develop yourself. That's what we are here to do.
It's about moving toward 'the light at the end of the tunnel.' It may not be that bright but it's there, and who cares how long it takes?"

Life experiences. Meghan finishes her article with a summary of things that she had learned in her four years of college. I really liked that idea, so I'm going to do the same thing.

Should education be more important than the time you spend at college? Does spending more than 4 years at college matter? Discuss here.

No comments:

Post a Comment