Monday, March 9, 2009

Big Enough for Me

The decision that has been plaguing me lately has been the decision to go to grad school or law school. This is a hard decision for me to make because both involve something I feel very passionately about: words.

Dr. Brugger once spoke casually about a law professor in a lecture that was asked what one of the most important skills to have was, to which he answered, “poetic analysis”. If he had his way, all law students would have to take a class in poetic analysis because through analysis new meanings can be generated from the same old phrase of words.

Well if this is the case then we have a tossup between the practical and the not so practical. In the grand scheme of things, what will my legacy be? What kind of impact will I have on the world? The thought I had was that if I go into grad school for English, go all the way to the end and get a PhD, will it matter to the world? If I gain tenure at a university somewhere and I write and publish, do those documents matter? If I write a lit criticism on Tennyson, does it matter to the world?

Then again, I've never really wanted to practice law. If I pursued that, I would probably teach rather than practice (which means another 4-7 years of education--a JD, an LLM, and an SJD) and then the question will come up again: will it matter?

What will my legacy be to the world?

I'm 23 and about to graduate from college, and I'm thinking about the legacy I will leave behind.

No wonder I'm not ready to graduate yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment